Monica D. Murgia

Art, creativity, and fashion
November 13th, 2011 by Monica Murgia

Fred Braun

Fred Braun shoes.

Fred Braun shoes.

Finding a pair of vintage shoes that have never been worn is an exhilarating experience. Lucky me, a few weeks ago I found a sample pair of olive green Fred Braun shoes in my size.  But the real excitement was that I magically stumbled upon an urban shoe legend.

Fred Braun was a New York based shoe designer during the 1960s & 1970s.  He had several boutiques throughout Manhattan, including: the Village, Lexington Avenue near 50th Street, and 34th Street.  As the shoes became more in demand, they were carried in independent retailers throughout Brooklyn.

The shoes still have a cult following, and there are message boards where devotees reminisce about their favorite styles, and the iconic red and white striped boxes they came in.  Fans explain that the shoes came in specialty sizes, and were beautifully made.  Judging from the pair I found, I absolutely agree.

When Fred Braun died , and the business closed.  The shoes are no longer produced, but sometimes pairs resurface on the vintage market.  Sources say Cobblestones, a vintage store in the East Village, often has pairs.  Or you might just find them at your local flea market.

GHTime Code(s): nc
If you enjoyed this post, make sure you subscribe to my RSS feed!

Comments

15 Responses to “Fred Braun”
  1. Some of the BEST shoes that were ever made, that lasted for ‘several years’, unfortunately they seemed to be fading when it was my turn to buy them (during the late ’70′s’), but I’d LOVE for someone from the family to re-start this business (as I really believe they’d give the high class shoe designers a real run for their money). Thanks for posting this.

2. Beverly Herring-Victor says

I recently had a discussion about Fred Braun shoes. These shoes were all the rage in my day. There was a shop on Jamaica Avenue near 165th street that carried these shoes. I remember when they sold for $16 then years later, $32. I remember us not being able to afford them. That was a lot of money in those days. I remember the cool kids in my school that wore Fred Braun shoes. I remember my younger sister buying Fred Braun’s with money earned from her summer job. I was delighted and overjoyed to inherit the hand-me-downs. Those shoes were so well constructed and lasted forever. I can’t believe nobody took over that company. Those shoes were legendary and we still talk about them today. I remember fondly the leather flats with the “triangle” toe that had 3 laces on the side. What I wouldn’t give for a pair today!!!

• Hi Beverly!

I can see what you mean about the construction.  That was what caught my eye.  The shoes are so well crafted, and the leather is really high quality.  I’ve been on the lookout for more Braun  shoes, but haven’t seen any. I’ll keep my eyes peeled for the triangle pair :-)

• Patricia Shelton says

Wow u are telling my story, I was in college when Ibrought a pair1971. Loved those shoes and yes all the cool kids wore them! I wonder what happened to the brand! $16 was alot in the 60s and 70s! Thanks for the memories!

3. I loved, loved, loved Fred Braun shoes! I grew up in Spring Valley – just outside the City – and remember going into the Village to the Fred Braun shop and spending my hard-earned cash ($1.65 per hour at Waldbaum’s) on a pair. They were my absolute favorite shoes and I wish I could find another pair. What a beautiful find! Olive pumps…

• Hi Linda,

I was super lucky! When I found them, I knew nothing of Fred Braun. They are fantastic, and in such great shape. Too bad they don’t make the shoes anymore.

4. Janice Morrow says

I wonder if fred had relatives, that could give more information on his life, where was he born. and if any of his relatives wanted to design shoes.

5. Janice Morrow says

one thing for sure we need well made shoes like that again, one pair were called the bunnies, they were popular. the nice part is that all ages could wear them.

6. Kimberly says

I would love to find out how I can retrieve pictures of fred braun shoes….I had just about every pair…leather, suede, slip ons, the ones that tied on the side….we use to put horseshoe taps on ours…me and my girlfriends…I would like to know who owns the rights to the shoes being that (fred braun is no longer with us) I would love to reinvent these shoes and sell them….these were the best shoes I ever wore and I know they would be a great seller right now…I’ve searched the internet and I can’t seem to find not one picture of fred braun shoes…can someone help me out here

• Kimberly,

I’m at a loss for this information myself. The pair I found was a complete fluke, and I was so sad they were not my size. It seems like Braun had quite a following, but not sure who owned the final rights to the company after it closed down. Maybe once my schedules slows down, I can do some further investigation. I’ll keep you posted.

• Kimberly says

Thanx for responding Monica…..I would love your help with this….I am so serious about reinventing theses shoes and putting them on the market….there are so many women out there that would definitely buy these shoes….but most of all I need to see a picture of the shoes that I would love to reinvent along with the one that you have posted…please stay in touch with me…I really, really would love to make this happen :)

7. Beverly Herring-Victor says

So sad to see no one was able to find further information on Fred Braun shoes. I recall some friends telling us (way back then) there was a Fred Micheals brand that looked exactly like Fred Braun shoes. Anyone know anything about Fred Micheals shoes?

8. I have a suede navy blue Fred Braun handbag Does anyone know about the value of it?

• Hi Toby!

Not sure about value, but Fred Braun has a strong cult following. I sold my pair of shoes for $50. Could you send me a few photos and Ill give you my opinion? I can even write a post. :)

9. kimberly lewis says

Hello Monica,
    It’s Kimberly here….just checking in with you again….any luck with trying to obtain pictures of Fred Braun shoes….I am still interested in trying to reinvent these shoes and sell them….but I truly need pictures…any luck on your end as yet